I used to think that in order to be a sunshiny, sugar sweet kind of person, I had to avoid all things that were negative. Life quickly taught me that was an impossible task! And so I found myself obsessively hiding the ugly stuff in life. Or glossing it up with lies and excusing it with pseudo science and platitudes.
For the LONGEST time I thought there was something wrong with me!
Why aren’t any of these positive thoughts working on any of my problems!?!?!?!?!?
Then as I delved deeper in my practice and I learned that all humans suffer. That suffering is a fact of life and a shared experience for all 7 billion of us, I felt great relief but I was still stuck with all these negative feelings. What the hell do I do with them?!
Well, the first thing I do is feel them.
And then…I put them on my Shit List!
There is something therapeutic about acknowledging the negative and then letting it go.
Sometimes, it comes back. That’s fine. Onto the list again. A shit list is actually a great tool to have because it:
Gets the negativity out of your head.
Helps you uncover patterns and serves as a roadmap to your challenges.
Validates your feelings OR shows you when you’re being a dumbass. ( The power of print! )
You can put anything you want on your list. People, experiences, objects, forces of nature. Whatevs. It’s all appropriate. We’re just making note of things that caused us suffering so we can acknowledge the negative and then… let it go.
With all that in mind I bring you: January’s Shit List
1. Alberta’s current government.
2. The creeps who prowl my neighbourhood, destroying and stealing property they go.
3. Mooshum, the worst watch dog in the history of watch dogs.
4. The Flu, which not only got me but gave my 2 year old grandson a febrile seizure and tossed my 5 year old granddaughter into the hospital with pneumonia.
5. Carl’s Jr. who ignored us in the drive thru,leaving us to sit there for 5 minutes before we drove away. I was really craving a burger too. Grrr!
6. Wimpy cough candies. Why even bother making your product? Ricola, I’m looking at you.
7. Myself, for being a mindless, careless knitter and a clueless human. This is a whole post in itself.
8. Animal “rescues” who operate more like pet stores.
9. People who rain on your parade. Yes, Janice I know getting your finger pierced is probably am exercise in snagged fingers but LET ME HAVE MY THING! And Oh, I’m sure owning and operating my own business would be a lot of work, let me find that out for MYSELF instead of gracing me with your “expert” advice. Do you think the thought never occurred to me? What exactly is your point and what are you trying to prove?! It seems like any time I have an idea, share something cool on social media or make note of something unusual, there is always someone there to take a giant steamer on it. Get.out.of.here.with.your.negativity!
10. Advertising in Alberta: First, the phone message from The Brick – a large furniture store- who regularly calls to advertise their shit over the phone. This time, instead of the usual ” I’m so and so from The Brick!” in used car salesman voice the message was as such- ” Hi! How are you?!” long pause…as if the person were waiting for your response even though it’s most obviously a recorded message” Ha ha, just joking this is so and so from The Brick” Go Fuck Yourself with that stupid shit!
Then there’s this gem:
I don’t live anywhere close to this neighbourhood! WHy are they sending me this and what does that photo have to do with teeth?! I hate capitalism.
11. My left ovary which feels like it has a cyst that’s trying to burst.
12. Unripe sapodilla’s that pretend to be ripe according to all sources but when you cut into said fruit of lies and take a big old bite out of a fruit that cost you 4 whole dollars, it so astringent that you have to spit it out into the sink and rinse your mouth out over and over again to repair the damage.
There, that should do it. One rant for every month of the year, ha. I feel better already. How about you? What’s on your SHit List this January?