OK. NO fair!
I was all excited thinking Future Lael would be celebrating the Spring Equinox in Zanzibar today, as a Time Traveller! BUT dammit, according to my stupid and highly disappointing research, Spring in Zanzibar starts on September 23. What will Future Lael be doing on September 23? Flying home to Autumn! I’ll be in the air 45 mins before the whole thing starts!
Well, that’s if everything goes well. Life is uncertain, maybe Future Lael is trampled by an elephant or eaten by a lion. Who knows! I do know, I am very mad about not being able to brag about being in Spring one day and Autumn the next!
I do love Autumn. I think its my favourite season. There is just something about the warm days and cool nights, the way the sun sits in the sky and shines softer. The brilliant colours cannot be beat and the smells! Oh the smells of wood smoke and dying vegetation, warm tea and spicy everything. Big sweaters and boots. Cozy blankets and lazy days. Frost on the window and misty air…I am SO looking forward to honouring this new season upon us.
Remember when I was freaking out about Summer fading away? I really found that whole list making process so helpful in reminding me to savour every little thing. I don’t feel like I wasted my last days of Summer and was way more accepting of its end. (Like I had a choice!)
So I think I’ll do that again, this time for Autumn!
Autumn To-Do List
- Walk to 7-11 for Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Seriously this is a thing. I hate PSLs anywhere else but 7-11 makes something so good, I break my own rules and have to enjoy at least one.
- Spend time outdoors, admiring the changing leaves, listening to them crunch underfoot and watching them swirl around in the wind.
- Spend a day under a blankey drinking tea and reading books.
- Make an apple pie.
- Decorate with rich warm tones. The dollar store is good for cheap finds you can set out year after year. Try to go no plastic.
- Pull out all the cold weather stuff and put away the warm.
- Buy a new sweater.
- Have a bonfire at a park that allows such things. Roast some weenies and drink mugs of apple cider too.
- Make a crumble out of any summer fruit you’ve frozen.
- Sunrises and Sunsets.
- Make and freeze batches of soup for those coming cold days.
- Make biscuits and eat them with butter and jam. Just because.
- Visit a pumpkin patch.
- Visit a Farmer’s Market.
- Try to maneuver out of a corn maze.
- Go for a drive in the country.
- Plant some bulbs.
- Set out bird feeders.
- Make candy apples.
- Make some chili.
- Celebrate Oktoberfest.
- Watch the birds fly south.
- Do a gratitude exercise.
- Knit a new hat,scarf and mitts.
- Honour your ancestors on Samhain
- Bring more light into your house by setting up fairy lights.
- Write letters to your friends…and send them!
- Get outside while the weather is still comfortable.
- Make homemade noodles.
- Read this bookThe Little Book of Hyggeand then Hygge it up!
What would you add to this? Please share!